After the success of last year’s championship at the Camber the RMSC has decided to repeat the event and hopefully deliver a bigger and better Championship this year.
Whilst we appreciate how busy the Corps is could I ask the chain of command to support this event as fully as possible and encoura
Phase 1 - Dinghy Championships
1. Tue 9 May 17 - Crews arrives, boat and equipment issue, safety briefing, local area familiarisation sail (weather / time permitting). BBQ / Run Ashore
2. Wed 10 May 17 - Race day, 2 x races am / lunch / 2 x races pm. 3 races to count 1 discard. Prize giving / depart for Hornet.
Phase 2 – RN Offshore Regatta + Yarmouth Trophy
As part of RM Sailing Week the RN Offshore Regatta & Yarmouth Trophy will follow immediately on from the Marines Dinghy Championships. The RMSC will enter a two/three-boat team into the RN Offshore Regatta & Yarmouth Trophy. This is the Royal Navy’s Inter-Command sailing event from which they select a team for the Services Offshore Regatta. The intention is to build upon the dinghy skills from the Dinghy Champs and transfer them into more complex inshore racing scenarios aboard yachts.
1. Wed 10 May – Crews arrive in Hornet. Overnight Fort Blockhouse.
2. Thu 11 May – Yachts handover and equipment issue, safety briefings and drills. Sail handling & trimming, spinnaker techniques and race tactics.
3. Fri 12 May – Race training; starts, upwind and downwind tactics, match-racing between RMSC yachts.
4. Sat 13 May – Yarmouth Trophy (Race 1). Passage race in the Solent ending in Yarmouth. Ocean Wave of Albany acquaint. Run Ashore.
5. Sun 14 May – Yarmouth Trophy (Race 2). Passage race in the Solent ending at Hornet. Disperse.
Speak with your Unit PTI or nominated Unit Sailing Rep (or become that person) with whom we can liaise directly with (nominations for Unit PoCs NLT 10 Mar 17).
As a target we are trying to get 15 Boats (2 per Major Unit – 4 x Marines) for the Championship and enter 2/3 Yachts (12-18 Marines) into the RN Inter-Services.
And finally please remember the cliché - ‘time for sport…………not time off for sport’!!!!